Sunday, October 08, 2006

Where is that, out there?

A few months ago a friend invited me to one of those social networking sites that sprout up every so often. I've recieved a few invites in the past for various sites of this type, but usually not from close friends. So I contacted her to see what was what, to see if the invite was legit. It was, she was inviting me to join friendster. So I thought, Why not? Of course, by now Friendster, if it is remembered at all, has become something of a punch line to a bad joke in the fast moving web. A victim of its own early success, it couldn't scale upwards quickly enough and slowed to a crawl, and its long time users moved to other sites like MySpace. But I signed up, not thinking much about it, and moved on. Last time I checked I had three friendsters. Sometimes I think about being more active on that page, thinking that maybe I'll be able to make more friendsters. But then I think that if I were to have joined up something like MySpace or Facebook that the results would be the same, I'd have three linked friends.
This morning, as I had my morning cup of coffee and surfed news and culture sites to see what was going on in the world, I came across a reference to a new social networking site that takes a different approach. The Experience Project, a site that asks users to "share, discover, connect, discreetly." It reminded me of one of the most devastating blogs I stumbled on a couple of years ago, PostSecret where users are asked to send in an anonymous confession on a postcard, either one they created or one that represents their secret. It's a site I check out every so often, not to peek into the secret lives of people, but because I think that the confessions, by being anonymous, also allow us to secretly confess things that we didn't want. We connect with certain confessions. One that I read a couple of years ago stayed with me: "I hate her for what she did to me, I hate myself more for what I did to her."
The Experience Project uses a similar model. On the homepage there are a number of experiences "I hate country music," "I film," I trust people too quickly," etc. The idea is to click on whatever experience you also have, "I don't know who I am anymore," and that link will take you to a page where people can share their stories. Of course besides clicking on the "I don't know who I am anymore" link, I also looked into the "I didn't get the memo" group (this one is for those who "feel out of place in life... at work, in relationships..."). Once you find experiences that you want to share in you can subscribe to the group.
As a social networking model I think it's really fascinating. What are some of your experiences?

No comments: