Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Things seen

In my walks (or rides, as now that I'm back in central PA I'm most often riding around town on my bike) certain random images strike me. I've written about them in the past. These images of the day can hit at any given moment: they stand out not because they are looked for, but rather, because they happen. Many times they are odd, for example as in the case of my friend Jimbo who mentioned the oddest experienced he ever had on his bike was when he was almost hit by a Volkswagon bug that was completely filled with loaves of Wonder bread. Of course, the thing about these images of the day is that I rarely have my camera handy when I see them. So they only exist in description.
Here are a few from my last month in Madrid.
#1. A man in a bright red flamenco hat, wearing tan shorts and sandals, smoking a fat, fat cigar in the shade of plaza Chamberí.
#2 Riding the metro (Line 9) after classes have let out for the day. Two kids, a boy and a girl, chatting. At metro República Argentina, the boy gets off and while the train is in the station he cracks joke to the girl from the platform. As the doors close he pretends to try to stop the train and then as it pulls away he runs alongside, his laugh trailing along and mixing the laugh of the girl.
#3 An older, balding, man in short sleeves calmly standing in the sun on the corner of Santa Engracia and Martínez Campos, calmly wearing a magazine on his head.

No comments: